17th EAJS International Conference 2023
The 17th EAJS International Conference will be held in Ghent, Belgium, 17-20 August 2023.
The EAJS is currently seeking section convenors for the conference.
Call for Convenor Nominations
The European Association for Japanese Studies invites (self-)nominations for section convenors for the 17th EAJS International Conference to be held in Ghent, Belgium from 17 to 20 August 2023.
EAJS International Conferences provide unique research exchange and networking opportunities for scholars working in the field of Japanese Studies and related disciplines. The last two EAJS International Conferences held in 2017 and 2021 were attended by almost 1,170 to 1,200 participants from more than 40 countries, making the triennially held EAJS International Conference one of the major academic events in the field of Japanese Studies and East Asian Studies worldwide.
For its 2023 conference, the EAJS Council seeks two convenors for each of the following sections:
- Language and Linguistics
- Pre-modern Literature
- Modern Literature
- Intellectual History and Philosophy
- Religion and Religious Thought
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Economics, Business and Political Economy
- Politics and International Relations
- Urban, Regional and Environmental Studies
Convenor pairs are responsible for organizing and representing their respective sections at the 2023 EAJS Conference. This includes the following responsibilities:
- Drafting a call for papers for their section;
- Selecting the papers and panels to be presented in their section;
- Representing their section in liaison with the EAJS office, the local organization committee and the speakers and participants of their section;
- Establishing a provisional program for their section and sharing it with the local organizer;
- Communicating with the local organizers about the necessary practical arrangements for their section;
- Presenting a brief summary of the section’s activities at the EAJS General Meeting on the last day of the conference;
- Submitting a written report for publication on the EAJS website and in the EAJS Bulletin.
The EAJS will assist convenors in these tasks where necessary. It will contribute to travel and accommodation costs and waive the registration fee for the conference.
EAJS members may self-nominate or be nominated by other EAJS members. Nominees are expected to be experienced scholars, who are well acquainted with EAJS conferences and have profound knowledge of their respective research areas as well as a broad network within Japanese Studies.
The EAJS encourages applying in pairs. In this regard, the EAJS Council is keen to encourage rotation within the sections to give other colleagues a chance to become convenors. We therefore expect that in the case of applications in pairs, only one convenor from a previous EAJS conference and one new colleague will apply.
All section convenors must be paid-up members of the EAJS.
The EAJS will cover part of travel and accommodation costs for section convenors related to the conference in Ghent.
To submit nominations, please send a short paragraph about the nominee (max. 100 words). If you nominate yourself or as a pair, please send a short statement of interest (max. 100 words) and a short CV (one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 July 2023.
The EAJS Council will consider all nominations and will select section convenors. Selected candidates will be notified by the EAJS office by the end of July.
More information about previous EAJS International Conferences and their sections is available here (EAJS 207) and here (EAJS 2021). For further information on convenor selection and tasks please contact us at email@example.com.