Position as Doctoral Researcher/Research Associate at Freie Universität Berlin
Research Project: “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources
during the Cold War”
Project Leader: Prof. Dr. Nadin Heé
We are offering a fixed-term contract (50%, pay grade 13 TV-L FU) for 36 months, starting as
soon as possible, for the research project “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge:
Marine Resources during the Cold War”.
The project seeks to contribute to the newly emerging field of global history of knowledge, which
postulates a shift away from a one-sided diffusion model with Europe or the US as center. The
aim is to develop a non-eurocentric perspective on the globalization of knowledge about marine
resources during the Cold War. The project asks to what extent knowledge from the region of
East Asia influenced this process of globalization and whether multilateral transfers and
circulations were important.
Your duties would involve:
- Writing a PhD Thesis on a topic closely related to the project “East Asian Impacts on the
Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources during the Cold War”
- Independent research, including investigations into Asian archives
- Public presentations of research findings at conferences and workshops
- Discussion of findings and methodological approaches within the research group
- You should already have completed your MA-studies in history, area studies or a closely related
- Excellent reading skills in one of the regional languages required for archival research (Chinese,
Korean or Japanese)
-Proficiency in English
- Prior knowledge of the subject matter is welcome
- You will be expected to write a PhD thesis on a topic closely related to the project under the
supervision of Prof. Dr. Nadin Heé, the project leader.
Applications must include a CV, a letter of motivation, proof of language skills (e.g. certificates),
a copy of the MA diploma (alternatively a letter from your supervisor confirming that you have
submitted your thesis including a short assessment of its quality), and a PDF-version of the MAthesis.
With the exception of the MA-thesis, all documents must be combined into a single PDFdocument.
All application documents must be sent electronically to email@example.com by
2015-3-16. We do not accept applications sent via postal mail. We accept applications in English
and German. Questions about the position and the application process should be directed