Call for Applications: Korean Studies Summer School 2022
News vom 11.06.2022
Call for Applications - Korean Studies Summer School 2022
August 16 to August 24, 2022, Kongju and Seoul / South Korea
The deadline for applications is 20th of June 2022
The Institute for Korean Studies FU Berlin, Germany, is pleased to invite applicants for the 2022 Korean Studies Summer School which will be held from 16th of August to 24th of August, 2022 in Kongju (Gongju) and Seoul, South Korea. The Summer School will bring together students enrolled in BA and MA programs in Korean Studies at Free University Berlin/Germany, Ruhr-University Bochum/Germany, INALCO Paris/France and Charles University Prague/Czech Republic, Ca‘ Foscari University of Venice/Italy, University of Copenhagen/Denmark.
The summer school is an academic program with field trip supported by the KDI-School, the Institute of Unification Education and the Research Institute of Buddhist Cultural Heritage. The objective of the Summer School is to provide students with an expert-lead, on site training in Korean history, culture, politics, and North-South Korean relations, this year in cooperation with History D – Asia Peace and History Institute (Dr. Lee Sincheol), Seoul. The program provides a great opportunity to expand knowledge on the diverse fields of Korean Studies.
The main theme of the 2022 program is Korean history focused on Kongju city and near area. Kongju was the capital city of Paekche (Baekje) from 475-538 and even afterwards it played a central role in the region, until Taejŏn (Daejeon) arose as a new regional center. Historically, it has experienced diverse phases not only as a local center of politics but also in terms of culture and education. Kongju offers various historical and cultural sites; some of them have been selected as UNESCO World Heritage site.
The field trip consists in three parts:
- August 16 – 20: Visits of historical sites in Kongju and near area
Heritage of the ancient Kingdom of Paekche, peasant uprising and modernization, colonialism, Korean war and contemporary political controversies, Pottery or other Korean traditional handicraft experience, Hanok experience (we will stay in Hanok, house of Korean traditional architecture).
- August 20 – 21: Temple Stay in Kap-sa
Experience of Korean Buddhism, heritage of Buddhist culture
- August 22 - 24: Visit to DMZ and workshop on national division and unification
Each participant receives:
- Subsidy for flight ticket: € 500
- accommodation and meals free for the whole duration of the summer school
- travel expenses and entrance fees (museum etc.) during the field trip in Korea
(Participation fees for some cultural experiences should be paid by the participants: approximately € 30 in total.)
The Free University Berlin acknowledges the Summer School activities with 10 Credit Points (Korean Studies, Vertiefungsmodul). Full participation in all the activities is obligatory; the following requirements are essential to obtain the credit points.
(1) Participation in Summer School Special Lecture Series and Orientation Workshop
(July 11-15, 2022)
- 5 Lectures for understanding the historical and cultural contexts of the themes of the field trip (July 11-14).
- One Day Workshop (July 15): Orientation to field trip / building four small groups. Each group selects one theme for presentation at the end of field trip.
(2) Group presentation at the end of the field trip (August 24 in Seoul)
Power-point presentationor video presentation (10 min) is possible.
(3) Final Paper
- For FUB students: academic paper on a theme from the Summer School (8-10 Pages)
- For all other students: Report on the summer school activities (3 pages)
Number of Participants
The total number of students will be limited to 15 (10 students from FUB, 5 students from Bochum, Paris, Prague, Copenhagen and Venice).
Applicants are asked to submit the following documents (preferably in a single file) to Lee Suhon (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 20, 2022. Please use the following subject line: Application for Korean Studies Summer School 2022.
- CV in English
- Motivation letter (one page) in English outlining the reasons for interest in attending the summer school
- The latest transcript of records (Campus Office)
For further details or inquires please contact Lee Suhon.