News vom 25.09.2019
The Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies investigates the plurality, changeability, and global connectedness of Muslim cultures and societies. The area of study includes Muslim societies in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia, as well as Muslim communities in Europe and North America. Our researchers examine, in a systematic and comparative way, concepts, practices, and institutions variously understood as Islamic.
The Graduate School invites applications for a Postdoctoral Position funded by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation. We are interested in attracting outstanding postdoctoral researchers who are engaged in research projects relevant to our research focus. We expect fellows to participate in our academic life, to give presentations on their research, and to teach one workshop per semester at the Graduate School on methodological and theoretical issues relevant to our doctoral fellows.
The successful applicant will be employed on a full position for two years. The salary (Entgeltgruppe 13, starting at ca. 50.000,- EUR/year) includes public health insurance and social benefits. Berlin is an attractive location for families, as childcare and schooling is free of charge. Successful applicants are required to take residence in Berlin throughout their employment at Freie Universität Berlin.
The call is open for recent postdocs (thesis must have been submitted; not more than four years after award of the doctoral degree) in the humanities and the social sciences.
• Research projects situated in one of the disciplines of the Graduate School: Arabic Studies; Asian and African Studies; Central Asian Studies; History; History of Islamic Art; Human Geography; Islamic Studies; Political Science; Semitic Studies; Social and Cultural Anthropology; South and Southeast Asian Studies; South East European History.
• excellent command of English in both writing and speaking
• very good knowledge of one of the regional contexts of the Graduate School
• command of a further language relevant to the project
• proven experience with empirical research and research methods
• proven track record of publications
Applications can only be submitted through the application platform: https://www.drs.fu-berlin.de/user/register?field_i_want_to=12
Applicants need to provide the following documents/information when applying:
▪ A brief cover letter (1 page)
▪ PhD certificate
▪ CV, including complete list of publications ▪ Description of the research project (max. 3 pages) ▪ Proposal for a workshop on methodological and theoretical issues relevant to doctoral fellows at the Graduate School ▪ Names of 2 referees
For further information please send an email to email@example.com
Freie Universität Berlin
Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)